Established in 2002, the International Cocoa Initiative (ICI) is the leading organization promoting child protection in cocoa-growing communities. ICI works with the cocoa industry, civil society and national governments in cocoa-producing countries to ensure a better future for children and contributes to the elimination of child labour.
Job Title: Finance Specialist, ICI Ghana
International Cocoa Initiative (ICI), Terms of Reference, Finance Specialist, ICI Ghana
The Finance Specialist is in charge of ensuring the effective and efficient financial operations of ICI’s operations in Ghana. The Finance Specialist supports, in particular, the NC with the accountancy and financial management of ICI operations, tracking and monitoring of the National Coordination Office budget, Direct Implementation Budgets and project budgets. The main duties will include preparation of and follow-up on budgets; reviewing all orders and payments to be in line with ICI financial and procurement guidelines and budget , accounting/bookkeeping, financial reporting and liaising with the general secretariat in Geneva and external partners (NGO partner organizations, auditors, tax
administration, etc.); and keeping all financial and accountancy documents up to date. The incumbent will have oversight responsibilities over other finance staff.
Responsible for the accountancy and financial management of the National Coordination Office and ICI Operations in Ghana and for ensuring duties instructed by the NC and the ICI Secretariat are fulfilled:
To provide support in particular with:
• Responsible for bookkeeping, covering payables and receivables, petty cash
• Ensures accounting of office and projects activities are on time, check all required documents are present, as well as cost allocations properly done (project and accounts codes correctly allocated), and make sure the cash inventories match with the petty cash book.
• Prepare cheque payments, transfer requests and bank reconciliations for all bank accounts, check all bank reconciliations from the field
• Ensure copies of cheques / proof of transfer are always attached to voucher, for payments from bank
• Check expenditures are done according to the budget and approved by the appropriate authority.
• Check justification documents and their conformity (order forms, invoices, inventories, etc.)
• Produce ledgers and accurate balances and make sure ICI Ghana accounting is in conformity with the national requirements as well as ICI’s requirements and policies
• Ensure close and proper follow-up of all cash advances, in the coordination office and on the field.
Supervise all control duties (Secretariat, bank, service providers and auditors);
• Issue all accounting, tax and social security declarations to the competent authorities;
• Ensure proper filing and archiving of all original monthly accounting for the whole mission
• Suggest any improvements in the accountancy procedures
• Process payment of salaries, allowances, travel claims and other payments to ICI Ghana staff,
• vendors and other claimants;
• Examine the budget component of all project proposals received in the coordination office, matching each budget line with the planned activities
• Support the preparation of project budgets as needed
• Support the preparation of the national coordination budget together with the national coordinator and other officers
• Raise attention to significant budget variances and overspendings, recommend corrective measures for savings / improvements / reduction of fraud and financial risks to NC and Finance Director
• Support the mid-year budget review process
• Perform regular monitoring of Direct Implementation and project expenses , which may include visiting offices in the various districts
• Review staff liquidation of imprest as per ICI Financial Procedures
• Maintain proper accounting files on budgets, cash advance requests, liquidations, receipts (archive) and bank statements or balances; put in place an archiving system;
• Advise the NC and the Finance Director in Geneva on appropriate reforms to national financial policies in accordance with national laws
• Support the development of ICI Ghana specific financial policies, under the supervision of the NC and in coordination with the Finance Director in Geneva
• Ensure availability, knowledge and strict compliance with I.C.I Finance procedures and policies
• Ensure proper understanding and use throughout the mission of all finance rules, tools and policies : i.e cashbooks, supporting documents (invoices, receipts and certificate of honour), bank reconciliations, monthly cash requests
• Prepare and submit Coordinating office, DI monthly expenses, project expenses and cashbook reports to ICI Secretariat
• Prepare financial reports on a quarter/annual basis as needed
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisors.
• Provide support to the NC and Finance Director in Geneva for the yearly external audit
• Immediately inform the Finance Director in Geneva and NC of any problem or issue arising in the course of the work
• Perform required controls for quarterly reconciliation, ensure compliance by all relevant field staff and work continuously for improvement throughout the mission
Qualification Required & Experience
• Qualified Chartered Accountant or equivalent (CPA, ACA, ACCA, CIMA) highly preferable
• Minimum 7 years’ experience in relevant position (Accounting, budget and financial reporting) , with demonstrated skills in effective compliance to procedures and control of expenses
• Knowledge of accounting software, Sun systems is an advantage
• Knowledge of information management tools and basic IT skills;
• Excellent Knowledge of Microsoft Office tools;
• Excellent accounting and bookkeeping skills
• Ability to rapidly analyse and integrate diverse information from varied sources
• Clear, concise written and verbal communications skills in English
• Knowledge of French is an advantage
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
• Detailed oriented, at ease with numbers
• Autonomous, independent,
• Rigorous, organized,
• Be honest and trustworthy, and demonstrate sound work ethics; as well as having a strong team working approach.
How to Apply
Please send applications in English (including a cover letter and your updated CV) to: firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning ICI Finance Specialist in the email subject Only those candidates who match the above requirements and who have been selected for interview will be contacted. Closing Date: 24 September, 2017
INVITATION: You Are Invited to Join the SchoolGH Forum Community. Click Here To SignUp Now...