Henry Dale International Fellowship for Post-Doctoral Scientists 2018 – UK
Henry Dale International Fellowship
Applications are on for outstanding post-doctoral scientists wishing to build their own UK-based, independent research career addressing an important biomedical question.
- Preliminary application deadline: 20th November 2017
- Invited full application deadline: 1st February 2018
Offered annually? Yes
- a non-EEA national who either has a relevant degree from a UK university, or has worked in the UK for at least a continuous three-year period
- an exceptional biomedical scientist, who does not fall within the categories above, whose recruitment to the host organisation would be advantageous to both the applicant and the organisation.
To be taken at (country): United Kingdom
Eligible Field of Study: Candidate is expected to have relevant scientific or mathematical qualifications and, at the final decision point (i.e. at interview), be no more than seven years from the date of their PhD viva.
About the Award: The scheme supports research ranging from the molecules and cells vital to life and their role in the global spread of disease, to clinical and public health research seeking to improve the quality of healthcare. It can be based in the laboratory, clinic or field, and may involve experimental or theoretical approaches. It brings together the Royal Society and the Wellcome Trust, two of the world’s most prestigious and influential scientific organisations, in their shared commitment to supporting the future leaders of biomedical research.
The scheme seeks to support individuals who would have previously applied for a ‘biomedical’ Royal Society University Research Fellowship or a Wellcome Trust Research Career Development Fellowship hosted by a UK academic organisation.
Type: Post-Doctoral, Fellowship
Henry Dale International Fellowship – Eligibility:
- The Fellowship will expect the candidate to have spent less than two years with their current department if they plan to apply for a Sir Henry Dale Fellowship in the same location.
- A strong justification must be provided if they have been at the proposed host organisation for longer.
- Candidates should please note that if they hold an established post, they are not eligible to apply for a fellowship to be held at their current employing organisation. In exceptional cases, the fellowship will be willing to consider a preliminary application if candidate wishes to move organisation and is able to make a strong scientific justification for the move.
- This scheme is not open to individuals who wish to combine research with a continuing clinical career in medicine, psychology, dentistry or veterinary practice.
- Time spent outside the research environment will be taken into consideration (e.g time away due to personal reasons such as maternity, paternity, adoption leave or other caring responsibilities; ill health or working in a non-research environment/role such as industry).
- Holders of a Royal Society University Research Fellowship or Wellcome Trust Research Career Development Fellowship are not eligible to apply for a Sir Henry Dale Fellowship.
- Candidate must have made intellectual contributions to research that have been published in leading journals, and be able to demonstrate their potential to carry out independent research.
- Resubmissions are not normally encouraged. If a previous application has been unsuccessful, candidates should please contact the Wellcome Trust for advice.
- Also, candidate must have an eligible sponsoring host organisation in the UK with the support of the relevant Head of Department, or equivalent e.g. Centre Director, Head of School, etc., who can guarantee that they will be supported in developing their own independent career and that adequate space and resources will be provided for the duration of the award.
Henry Dale International Fellowship – Selection Criteria:
- Sir Henry Dale Fellows are expected to conduct research in line with the agreed policies and position statements (PDF) of the funders.
- Once the full application has been submitted it will be subject to external peer review prior to consideration by the scientifically relevant Expert Review Group.
- The Expert Review Group will shortlist applicants for interview by the Sir Henry Dale Fellowship Interview Committee.
- Shortlisted applicants will be contacted at least two weeks before the interview date and interviews will take place in London.
- Awards will be conditional upon a satisfactory performance at interview.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship:
- a basic salary for the Fellow, as determined by the host organisation; an additional Wellcome Trust enhancement of £7,500 per annum will also be provided
- research expenses, including research assistance if required (normally a graduate research assistant or technician; requests for additional research staff may be considered where fieldwork or clinical studies in a low- or middle-income country are proposed)
- travel and subsistence for collaborative travel or scientifically justified overseas visits of normally up to one year
- overseas allowances, where appropriate, for candidates working in low- or middle-income countries for 12 months or more.
- an inflation allowance
- a Flexible Funding Allowance
- a contribution towards indirect and estate costs funded by the Royal Society (currently set at £11,000 per annum per Fellowship).
Duration of Fellowship: Five (5) years, with the potential to apply for renewal for an additional three (3) years.
Henry Dale International Fellowship – How to Apply: Applications should be submitted through the Wellcome Trust Grant Tracker (WTGT).
Award Provider: The Sir Henry Dale Fellowship
Important Notes: Fellowships may be taken up on a part-time employment basis, where appropriate. Only the funds provided by the Royal Society may be used towards indirect and estate costs.
- Public Universities in Ghana: Full List, Courses, Admissions, Fees, Contacts & More
- Technical Universities in Ghana: Full List, Courses, Admissions, Fees, Contacts & More
- List of Universities Admission Lists 2018/2019