IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program (Fully-funded) 2019
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2019… Interested apps and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Table of Contents
IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program 2019
Thanks to a generous donation by the Simons Foundation, NY the Commission for Developing Countries (CDC) of the International Mathematical Union (IMU) is launching the IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program to support research visits of mathematicians living and working in developing countries in Africa.
- Type: Fellowship (Academic)
- Offered Annually? Yes. Until 2021
- Eligible Countries: African countries
- To be taken at (country): Worldwide
About the Award: The IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program supports research sabbaticals for mathematicians from AFRICAN developing countries employed in AFRICA to travel to an Internationally known mathematical center of excellence/university (WORLDWIDE) for collaborative research.
The program is not for any postgraduate courses or postdoctoral training but for a LIMITED RESEARCH PERIOD. The grant covers TRAVEL and LIVING COSTS of African mathematicians working in Africa (Specifically coming from a developing country, the definition of which is determined by the IMU for all its schemes) during the sabbatical.
- The applicant has to hold a valid doctoral degree (Ph.D.) in mathematics.
- The African applicant must be based (place of work) in an African developing country.
- The applicant has to be employed as a mathematician in a faculty of a university or an equivalent higher education institution.
- The applicant should already have established contact with a mathematician in the host institution in mathematical centre of excellence worldwide and should have a definite research plan together with the host, which must be submitted along with the curriculum vitae of both mathematicians at the time of applying for this grant. This plan should be approved by the host as well.
- The applicant should have been granted appropriate leave of absence from his/her home institution which will cover the period of the visit.
- The application must also be accompanied by a formal letter of invitation from the host institution, which clearly specifies the period of the (short) research visit as well as the extent of its financial commitment and support. It is expected that the host institution would at least offer office space, free Internet access, and other basic amenities. The invitation has to come from the dean of the faculty for the host institution.
- The minimal length of a visit that could be favorably considered would be one month. There is no maximal length but it has to be a sabbatical/ research visit, not a fellowship position in the host institution (e.g. doing a post-doctoral).
Value of Scholarship:
The grant under this scheme will cover:
- Travel costs from the place of work of the applicant to that of the host to the extent of economy class airfare (Public) transport (surface transport by rail or bus between the nearest city where the airport is located and the headquarters of the candidate or the city/town where the host institution is located, if necessary)
- Visa fees
- Travel insurance charges
- Basic living costs
- Accommodation cost (guest house of the institution or rented flat if possible).
- Maximum four (4) Taxi fares (on submission of receipts) may be allowed to travel between the residence and the airport/railway station (upon arrival and departure).
Application Form – How to Apply:
In order to apply please take the following steps:
- Please fill out and submit the online application form for the IMU-Simons Programs.
- Upload all requested documents (two CVs: of the host and the applicant, detailed Research plan, invitation letter by the host institution, letter by the home institution, tentative budget details in USD) as 1 joint PDf to the Online Application Form.
- A picture of you for our website (upload separately to the Online Application Form) (The picture will be published on our website (like this: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/research-travel-grants/imu-simons-travel-fellowship/2018-awarded-imu-simons-africa) if the applicant is chosen, so PLEASE upload a NICE picture in good quality!)
The application form can be found here
If your application is NOT completed by the deadline, it CANNOT be considered for evaluation. Please send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.
- April 15th, 2019 for research visits starting between August 1, 2019, and August 1, 2020 (Decisions will be made by June 15h, 2019)
- July 15th, 2019 for research visits starting between November 1, 2019, and November 1, 2020 (Decisions will be made by September 15, 2019)
- October 1st, 2019 for research visits between January 15, 2020, and January 15th, 2021 (Decisions will be made by November 15th, 2019)
For More Information:
Click Here to the Official Webpage of IMU-Simons African Fellowship Program (Fully-funded) 2019 for more information.