MIRO Forestry Ghana Recruitment 2019 for Occupational Health and Safety Officer
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Applicants for the MIRO Forestry Ghana Recruitment 2019. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
MIRO Forestry Ghana Recruitment 2019
Job Title: Occupational Health and Safety Officer
Reports to: Environment, Social and Safety Manager
Direct Subordinates: Office/resident Security personnel
Internal: Environment, Social and Safety Manager, Department Managers, company employees
External: Contractors, service providers, OHS inspectors/auditors
Main Purpose of Appointment:
- The OHS officer’s core duty will be overseeing full site responsibility for all OHS management, including developing, coordinating and implementing effective management plans.
- Provide support to manage OHS issues in the company
- Maintain OHS files/registers
- Assist to manage accidents/incidents
- Assist in ensuring workers and contractors adhere to the OHS and Labour policy of the company
- Assist with policy formulation and implementation
Functions of Appointment:
- Design and Develop an Occupational Health & Safety Management Plan (OHSMP)
- Design and develop a company OHSMP in accordance with Forestry Stewardship Council(FSC) standards and frameworks and National legislation, this will include performing risk assessments for all sites and jobs, highlighting high risk activities and implementing mitigation measures.
- Advise the Company’s management on health and safety matters and manage this process to ensure all advice is incorporated into day-to-day processes and operations.
- The OHS Officer will be expected to spend most of his time inspecting sites and ensuring compliance with the OHSMP.
- Actively work towards the Company’s achievement of FSC certification
- Work with the plantation, environmental and community teams to acquire FSC certification by 2017.
- Take responsibility for championing high OHS standards and adherence to FSC standards across the company, including frequent OHS audits against the FSC Principles and Criteria.
- Health and Safety Management system
- Design, manage, champion, upkeep and audit an OHS management system.
- Ensure timely production of all OHS reporting.
- Incident, Accident and Near Miss Management
- Investigate accidents, incidents and near misses and ensure all relevant documentation is updated.
- Manage the incident and accident reporting database.
- Complete prevention inspections on a regular basis and ensure good records are maintained.
- Provide support and expertise to management in incident investigation and reporting (including dangerous occurrences and occupational diseases).
- Conduct equipment inspections for legal compliance and to promote safe conditions.
- Create and implement safety checklists for all relevant operations.
- Conduct occupational health and safety related surveys e.g. noise, lighting, exposure to chemical substances and make associated recommendations
- Be responsible for the Company Emergency Preparedness Plan and update as necessary, including all stakeholder communication surrounding the plan.
- Road Safety Management
- Implement the Company’s Road Safety Management Plan with a zero tolerance approach to non-compliance.
- Work with multidisciplinary teams to enforce additional road safety precautions and support all teams in implementation.
- Conduct frequent spot checks and audits to ensure compliance, reporting on progress.
- Actively work towards the company’s full compliance with the International Labour Organisation (ILO) guidelines
- Manage the process of companywide ILO compliance including full responsibility for all OHS audits.
- Engage regularly with relevant stakeholders and train employees on OHS issues
- Liaise with any stakeholders in relation to OHS- related legislation, rules and company standards.
- Resolve any OHS grievances/ complaints that may arise.
- Perform regular H&S awareness training sessions for both internal and external stakeholders.
- Conduct safety induction training for new employees and ensure pre-employment medical examinations are done.
- Management and Leadership
- Collaborate with the all relevant personnel to ensure that an integrated approach is adopted by the company in its Environmental, Social and Health and Safety management.
- Facilitate H&S meetings and ensure that minutes are drafted and distributed.
- Work with the senior management team, assist with the formulation of business strategies and plans
JOB HOLDER SPECIFICATION
Formal Education: A degree in Environmental Science, Forestry Management, Safety Management or a related field. A Masters Degree would be an added advantage
Experience: A minimum of 3 years post qualification working experience in a similar role and industry
Personal qualities and competencies:
- The position requires a dynamic and responsible individual with a strong interest in international health and safety standards.
- The individual must be self-motivated and team oriented, able to work independently and committed to responsible forest stewardship.
- Knowledge of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), as well as International Finance Cooperation (IFC- Guidance Note/Performance Standard) and all enactments relating to best OHS management practices
- Good communication skills in (English and Twi)
- Proficiency with MS Office is absolutely essential
- Experience with project planning software would be an added advantage
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written communications, sound presentation, analytical and computer skills
“This job description is a guideline of key performance areas, but does not limit your activities to the content herein. Your role is to continuously add value to the company and carry out any reasonable instructions from management, thus ensuring that all teams meet Miro’ objectives.”
How to Apply
Submit your CV to email@example.com
NB : Kindly use the Job Position you are applying for as the Title of your Email.
Ensure that you mention www.jobwebghana.com as the source of this job advert.
Closing Date : 14th April, 2019