University of Ghana Student Innovation Challenge – 2018
The Institute of Applied Science and Technology (IAST) under the College of Basic and Applied Sciences of the University of Ghana serves as a platform for the transfer of knowledge, technology and innovation developed at the University of Ghana to Industry, the University community and the Nation. One of the important objectives of the Institute of Applied Science and Technology (IAST) is to organize events to showcase technologies developed from departments of the University of Ghana. As part of its strategy to achieve its objectives and to mark the 70th Anniversary of the University of Ghana, the Institute of Applied Science and Technology is organizing a Student Innovation Challenge (STIC).
The STIC is to bring out the innovative and creative abilities in students and to encourage participation in the application of the acquired knowledge, skills and abilities to solve problems pertaining to industry.
The STIC has two major aspects. First, the University of Ghana STIC is opened to all students of the University of Ghana from every college/school/department/institute/centre with diverse innovations. Second, the HMD Africa STIC, which is being sponsored by HMD Africa, on the other hand is opened to all students of the University of Ghana from every college/school/department/institute/centre whose innovations fall within agricultural science.
Both Challenges run concurrently with the UG STIC considering diverse innovations from multiple disciplines.
AIMS OF STUDENT INNOVATION CHALLENGE (STIC)
a. To Empower potential students to create innovative solutions to problems existing within the University community, local industries and the Country through the application of knowledge and skills gained in their areas of study.
b. To Create a network between experts in different fields of industries and students to as well as encourage the mentoring of students together with the teaching staff of the University.
c. To Foster teamwork among students across the different disciplines through collaboration.
d. To Encourage students to develop the enthusiasm and skills of entrepreneurship as a solution to unemployment.
The General STIC will strictly be opened to both undergraduate and graduate students of the University of Ghana to showcase ideas or developed solutions to address problems existing industry in innovative technology in the following areas:
❖ Health or sanitation
❖ Engineering e.g food processing, automobile design etc
HMD Africa STIC
The HMD Africa STIC will strictly be opened to both undergraduate and graduate students of the University of Ghana to showcase ideas or developed solution to address problems existing in the following areas within the agricultural sector of Ghana:
Innovative model or application to scale up crops agriculture
Innovative irrigation application
Scheme for assisting farmers in developing their business via new technologies
Scheme for strengthening link between farmer and markets
Scheme for mechanization of farmers
NB: All agriculture related applications submitted for the UG STIC will be included in the HMD Africa STIC.
RULES OF THE CHALLENGE
The challenge is strictly opened to both undergraduate and graduate students of the University of Ghana. Students may enter as a group of three (3) or as individuals. Students from all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
Ideas or solutions of applicant(s) should:
● Meet specific needs/problems and be locally-driven
● Demonstrate innovation and creativity
● Express economic, social or environmental benefits
● Each team/individual is required to upload a maximum of two (2) page proposal during application
● Each team/individual must have a unique name.
● Each team/individual should focus on only one particular area of the competition
● Be original, innovative and feasible.
● Indicate the area of interest.
● Describe in detail how innovative, the idea or solution is (can be accompanied by an illustration).
● Describe a target market for the innovative idea or solution.
● Identify resources to be utilized both local and foreign.
● Describe how the idea will impact on Industry socially, environmentally and economically.
By submitting a proposal, the team/individual agrees that:
● The applicant(s) is the creator of the idea/solution.
● The applicant(s) own some rights to the idea/solution.
● The submission does not infringe upon or violate the intellectual property, privacy, or other rights of any third party.
Criteria for Winner Selection
Initial selection of proposals would be conducted to select qualified applicants to enter the challenge. Selected applicants would be notified via phone call or e-mails in the first week of September 2018. Successful applicants would be posted on the Institute of Applied Science and Technology (IAST) website and social media pages and on the University of Ghana website.
Selection of winner
An award ceremony would be held in October 2018 to announce the winning team of the challenge. The winner of the challenge would be decided by a panel of judges. The winner of the UG STIC shall be entitled to a prize of GH₵5,000.00 and would be linked to industries/organizations for the implementation of the idea or solution while the winner of the HMD Africa STIC shall be awarded $50,000.00 as seed funding from HMD Africa to launch his/her project.
Disclaimer and Force Majeure
The Institute of Applied Science and technology is not responsible for:
● Typographical errors in any document submitted that may lead to miscommunication
● Lost, misdirected, illegible, incomplete, or delayed proposals
● Any cause beyond the Institute’s control, making it inadvisable, illegal, impossible, or impractical to continue the challenge.
For further enquiries or questions, kindly send your mails to [email protected] or visit the office of the Institute of Applied Science and Technology located within the D1 Chemistry Building (opposite the UG Recreational Quadrangle in University of Ghana).
Entry period and application
Applications to the challenge will be opened from 4th April 2018 (06:00 GMT) – 31st August, 2018 (00:00 GMT).
Interested students are required to apply online by clicking here. For further enquires kindly contact 0244046850 or 0209039058 or visit www.ug.edu.gh/iast or the offices of IAST at the Old Chemistry Building, Room DI.
NB: Applicants should ensure contacts; phone numbers and email addresses are added to their proposal
- Public Universities in Ghana: Full List, Courses, Admissions, Fees, Contacts & More
- Technical Universities in Ghana: Full List, Courses, Admissions, Fees, Contacts & More
- List of Universities Admission Lists 2018/2019